Is it not amazing that many times when we share memories from a first date, beyond the butterflies a date conjured in our stomach, an important thing we remember is how he/she looked?
That despite our nervousness, we always checked them out and did not forget the hits and misses?
Let’s face it. People are more often than not first drawn to the looks. Every other thing comes after. So the right clothing is everything.
Which is why this week, we share with you tips on how to dress so that your date swoons when you walk through the door.
Always remember to dress right for the occasion
This is important and we will emphasize the difference between being under-dressed and being overdressed.
Imagine showing up at a fancy restaurant for a dinner dressed in ripped jeans and hoodie or going for a poolside rendezvous dressed in three-piece suit? You will feel out of place.
If you are in doubt, ask your date to let you in on what kind of setting your date will be in, so that you are rightly prepared.
1. If it is a casual setting like say the movies, a pair of clean jeans in good condition or casual trousers matched with a t-shirt or button down shirt works excellently for guys. A first date is not the best time to wear a hoodie or holey/ripped jeans because they overly trivialize the occasion. Remember that though casual, the event is still special and dress that way.
2. A nice dress (nothing too dressy but fancier than normal) is ideal for a lady. If you are more comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt or blouse, make sure you are wearing something nicer than usual
3. Stay away from all black except it is a themed date. Spice up your attire with colors, but not too much. Wear a colorful earring or a neck-piece or even shoes; anything that will make you unique (in a good way).
There’s nothing as displeasing to the eyes as seeing a lady constantly adjusting a super cool blouse or skirt into position because they are too tight. There’s absolutely no point wearing them in the first place. Also,
1. A first date is not a good time to test a new fashion trend or go out of the kinds of outfits you are usually comfortable in
2. Wear the shoes you are comfortable in. If you cannot be caught dead wearing heels, stay away from them when you go on dates. Beyond being comfortable and avoiding embarrassments, you also want your dates to meet your real self as much as possible to avoid surprises in the future.
3. Wear your makeup in your favorite style, if you must
4. Chipped shoe heels are a no-no. Toss them
Focus on your best features
When people talk about their first dates, the appearance of their dates always makes the top of the list of things to talk about. So, always put your best foot forward, because most times, people are first drawn to looks.
1. This means that your clothes should be fitted properly; no flabbiness. But they should not be too tight so that they not digging into your skin and leaving you feeling uncomfortable.
2. Find the colors that work for you and rock them.
3. Ladies, highlight your body shape. You can use colors to flatter body parts without overdoing it. If you have a full and curvy hip, stay away from heavily pleated skirts or dresses. You will only look bigger than normal. If you are pear shaped, wear dark colors at the bottom and brighter colored tops. Wear peplums if you want to create the illusion of full figure and hips
4. No matter what you do, emphasize one specific feature at a time. Don’t go for the overkill. If your intention is to show off some cleavage, do just that and cover up everywhere else. If you want to flaunt the legs, do that and leave the cleavage out of it.
It always comes back to hygiene
There’s no known person on record that loves bad, smelly breath or body odors. Good oral hygiene is still trendy. Have a bath, wear a deodorant, smell nice, get a haircut and trim your facial hairs. No chipped nail polish or shabby manicure. If you fixed your nails, be sure that they are all still in place.
Take a deep breathe in and smile!
When was the last time you went on a date for the first time? What do you remember from it? Leave us tips too in the comments if you are married. What worked the magic?